These days where the thermometer does not rise and no shelter is enough, nothing better than comforting yourself and raising your body temperature with a delicious meal. Soups and stews are snacks between meals to fight the cold, but they are not the only option. Here are five recipes to face winter with a full belly.
Pumpkin and cream cheese soup
The queen of winter is undoubtedly soup. Mafalda’s most hated food, the lovely character created by Quino, has several versions with varying degrees of difficulty. In this case, the chosen recipe is Pumpkin and cream cheese soupwhich collects three characteristics which are returned unbeatable: this Rich, easy to make and cheap.
Ingredients for two servings:
- 2 pumpkins (can be anco or cabutia)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 glasses of water
- 1 broth cube
- butter cheese (or other easy-to-melt cheese)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- We cook the pumpkin pieces together with the skin. Leave them in the container until they are neutralized. When they are at this point, remove the skin.
- Chop the garlic and onion and sauté them in olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin pulp to the garlic-onion preparation and fry for a few minutes.
- Add three glasses of water and the diced broth. Let’s boil it.
- Once you have reached the source, remove the preparation from the heat and process it. It can be made with a mini pimmer, but also in a blender.
- Put several pieces of cheese and cream on each plate. Then pour the preparation.
Vegetarian lentil stew
One of the most popular dishes on cold days is stew. And those that carry legumes, even more so. The Fast stew with bacon and red chorizo is a classic, so this time a vegetarian version.
Ingredients for four people:
- Lentils: 300 grams
- Pumpkin: 250 grams
- carrot: 1
- bell pepper: medium
- Leek: 2 stalks
- Green onions: 2
- Onion: 1 (small)
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Chopped parsley: 1 well
- Vegetable soup (cubes): 1 liter
- Canned tomatoes: 1
- Sugar: 1 medium tablespoon
- Olive oil: 3 tablespoons.
- Salt to taste
- Spices used: sweet paprika, cumin, oregano, curry, ground chili and nutmeg.
- Immerse the lentils in a bowl of water, stir and pour out the water. Repeat. This is done to remove impurities. It is advisable to leave the lens in water for several hours, but it is not absolutely necessary.
- Clean the pumpkin, remove the seeds. Put the lentils together in a pot with 1 liter of vegetable juice or water. Cook for about 30 minutes without covering the pot to reduce the water.
3. Cut the vegetables as small as possible.
4. Sauté bell peppers, carrots, onions, green onions, leeks and garlic in olive oil in a pan. For salt.
5. Grate the nutmeg.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes to the other vegetables. Season with sweet paprika and oregano. Add another pinch of cumin and a pinch of curry and add a tablespoon of sugar.
7. After 20 minutes, the pumpkin is ready. Remove from the water and leave the lentils to soften.
8. Remove the skin of the pumpkin and add it to the vegetable mixture, let it dissolve.
9. When the lentils are al dente, add them to the vegetables along with the cooking water.
10. Let the liquid reduce and serve.
This traditional dish is not only reserved for national holidays, such as May 25 or July 9. It is ideal for cold days, so we recommend a practical recipe.
- 400 grams of cracked corn
- 100 grams of beans
- 3 Creole sausages
- 100 grams of bacon
- 750 grams of strip roast
- 450 grams of yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the corn and soak it the night before cooking. Do the same with the beans. The next day, boil it in salted water. Let it cook slowly, stirring with a wooden spatula, so that it does not stick.
- When the grains have softened, add the meat cut into pieces, the bacon and chorizo cut up, the pumpkin and cook until it thickens.
- At the same time, saute the onion and chopped garlic in two tablespoons of oil, add paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Serve the locro in a soup plate with a spoonful of onion.
A rich and simple dish that everyone loves. Ideal to share with the little ones.
- 500 grams of minced meat
- 1 onion
- 1/2 bell pepper.
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For the puree:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups milk (720 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into cubes and boil them in water until they burst, as if making a puree.
2. Chop the onion and fry it in a pan with a teaspoon of oil. Add the chopped bell peppers, minced meat and spices and fry for 15 minutes. To screw up.
3. When the potatoes are soft, mash and puree, add butter, salt and milk.
4. Assemble the meat and potato pie: put a layer of puree in a pan, then cover it with the meat preparation, then cover it with a second layer of puree.
5. If you want, you can put fresh or grated cheese on top of the puree so that it becomes au gratin. Bake at 200°C until golden brown.
And since dessert also helps fight the cold, it’s a super easy recipe pancakes flavored with dulce de leche or cream for a snack or after dinner.
Ingredients (makes 10 pancakes):
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- pinch of salt
- Beat the eggs, then gradually add the flour and mix well. Add the milk and continue beating so that no lumps form. Add the melted butter and a pinch of salt. Important: the preparation must be allowed to rest for approximately 15 minutes before use.
- Grease a Teflon or non-stick pancake pan, pour a spoonful of the mixture onto it, and put it on the burner until the pancake is formed. The most daring can try to flip them in the air. If not, a spatula can be used. When both sides are golden, take them out.
- Fill with dulce de leche, cream, both, or any jelly. Then roll up and enjoy.