We love soups! No matter where in the world it is cooked, it is a soup most comforting food. The soup that we will develop next comes from Venezuela, a country rich in raw materials, where you can develop famous recipes such as Creole pavilion, Venezuelan fish or arepas, in addition to an endless number of delicious bites.
The Venezuelan sancocho it is a Sunday or holiday recipe which brings family and friends together around a table to eat this delicious spoon food. In this case, the recipe is a beef and chickenfrom which the so-called crossbred sancocho or llanero sancocho but it can only be made with chicken or hen or beef as the main ingredient. There are other regions where this delicacy is also cooked, such as Canarian stew, which is made from salted fish.
The original recipe includes ingredients that are not easy to find in Spain, such as yucas, yams and ocumos. But if we have the opportunity and have access to it to incorporate it into the recipe, without a doubt the food would become more authentic and tastier. In this case, we have to incorporate it together with the potatoes. Let’s continue with the recipe!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- portions: 4
- Category: main dish
- type of kitchen: Venezuelan
- Calories per serving (kcal): 595
Ingredients for Venezuelan sancocho for 4 people
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 leek
- ¼ cabbage
- 2 sweet peppers
- Ground white pepper
- 3 chicken legs
- 500 g beef tenderloin
- 3 liters of water or chicken broth
- 2 jojos or ears of corn
- 2 carrots
- 5 medium potatoes or 1 yucca
- 1 kg of auyama or pumpkin
- optional peppermint
How to make Venezuelan sancoch
To start the Venezuelan sancocho, heat 30ml extra virgin olive oil in a large pot. While the oil is heating, cut 2 onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 celery stick, 1 leek, ¼ cabbage and 2 sweet peppers into brunoise. Add all the chopped ingredients to the pot, season with salt and pepper and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.Monica Canovas
When the onion starts to become transparent, add 3 chicken thighs and 500 g of diced and previously seasoned veal thighs. When the meat is browned, pour 3 liters of water or chicken or meat stock over it and cook over low heat for 1 hour so that the meat is soft.
After this time, cut 2 jojos or corn on the cob into 3 pieces. Peel and thickly slice 2 carrots and peel and mash 5 medium potatoes. Taste for salt and simmer for another 30 minutes.Monica Canovas
Then peel and cut 1 kg of pumpkin into cubes. Add to the pot and cook for another 15 minutes. Turn off the fire.Monica Canovas
Venezuelan sancocho and all stews and soups worth their salt gain their flavor and texture by letting them rest for a few hours after preparation.
Serve in a clay pot, with finely chopped coriander and mint to taste.Monica Canovas
Overview of easy preparation
- Sauté the onion, garlic, celery, leek, cabbage and sweet pepper. Season and fry over low heat
- Add the chicken and previously seasoned cubed veal. When it starts to color, pour water over it and cook for 1 hour
- Chop up the dumplings, slice the carrots, smash the potatoes and add them to the pot. Season if necessary and cook for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop the carrots, cook for another 15 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Let it rest. Serve in a clay pot, sprinkle the sancho with coriander and mint to taste