All the smells: the colors and textures of Indian cuisine in your home tonight: this recipe for dal makhani – Indian lentil and red bean soup – will enchant you.
How to make dal makhani
- 1 cup lentils
- ½ cup beans
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
- Spicy ground chili (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 3 concassé tomatoes
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Step by step preparation
- Rinse and let the beans and lentils rest overnight.
- Replace the water in the legumes and boil them in 6 cups of water with salt, hot chili powder (to taste), ginger and fennel seeds until soft.
- Drain and crush a bit like a paste and leave whole. Book it.
- Heat the butter or oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and when they start to crackle, add the minced garlic and diced onion; fry until golden brown.
- Add garam masala and concassé tomatoes, cook until everything becomes a paste. Then add the beans and the lentil mass (with a little of the cooking water if you want a more liquid consistency); adjust seasoning, reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Add the cream, cook for another 5 minutes, then serve with chopped coriander leaves, grated ginger and a little cream on top.