This corn tortilla soup with chicken dates back to the distant time of the Aztecs, but it has a special feature: it is cooked over a slow fire and flavored with embers.
Tortilla soup, also known as Aztec soup, is a very traditional dish of Mexican cuisine. It’s nothing but a tomato and other vegetable soup with Mexican corn tortillas and other ingredients like cilantro, corn, cheese, sour cream. These are the typical flavors of Aztec cuisine, which combine in a very pleasant and easy-to-prepare soup. It is important to add the tortilla right before consumption so that it does not lose its texture or fall apart. The version invented by Cooking Classy, which we share below, contains grilled pocho breast pieces, which adds more flavor and a lot more protein to the rich soup.
Tortilla soup with grilled chicken
- 300 grams of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of tomatoes in juice (500 grams)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream and tortilla to taste
- Preheat an electric grill to medium-high or 230°C. In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin, ¾ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper and ¼ teaspoon of sugar.
- Brush the chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season both sides with the previous mixture. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from heat, let rest and cut into small cubes
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, remaining chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat. Cover and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn in the last two minutes.
- Add the chicken, cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve the broth on the plate and add avocado pieces, cheese, sour cream and tortillas according to the canteen’s taste.
With cuisine and wine information.